Get enough sleep.
Sorry, were you expecting something else?
I will admit, it’s a bit easier said than done. After all, to get enough sleep, I also have to:
- Avoid drinking coffee after noon, and no more than 3 cups at that
- Exercise, otherwise I’m restless and unsettled
- Get up and move throughout the day so that my neck isn’t in so much pain from computer work that I can’t fall asleep
- Eat well – the less junk I put in my body, the better I sleep
- Make myself shut off at least an hour, if not two hours, before bed
- Have a night time routine – shower, floss, brush teeth, stretch, read, lights out
We’re all constantly searching for the trick to being more productive. But what if the trick is no trick at all. Sleep is literally a magical thing. Use it to your advantage.
Thanks to James Clear for the inspiration for today’s post. If you don’t read James’ writing, you should. He’s one of the most powerful writers I know, and I would put money on a long and fruitful writing career as a result.
Become a more courageous and generous leader
Get every new essay on making a positive impact in the world as it's published.