The desire to change often comes from the desire for something to stop. We experience something that makes us realize we’re against that thing.
- We want to quit the job we hate because we’re against the mission and culture and management style.
- We want to stop eating poorly because we’re against feeling crappy and being overweight.
- We want to stop going to bed so late because we’re against feeling tired and needing more coffee than is healthy.
But that change actually happens when we’re for something.
- We want a job working for an amazing company because we believe in the mission.
- We want to eat well so that we can be in our best physical shape, feel great, and be more active without getting exhausted.
- We want to go to bed earlier so we can enjoy the early morning hours with our spouse and be more upbeat at work, as well as at home.
Real, powerful change comes from a vision. It comes from being for the change you want, not against the thing you hate. Every complaint has an affirmative version.
Focus on the affirmative if you want to create lasting change. I’m for it.
Become a more courageous and generous leader
Get every new essay on making a positive impact in the world as it's published.