My work as a coach is based on three important insights I gained from leading teams at multiple startups, including as COO at ConvertKit and VP Communications at a Series A climate tech startup:
- Startups grow at the rate their founders (and executives) grow
- Organizational cultures centered on belonging and accountability allow people to reach their full potential at work
- A company can be one of the most powerful forces for social good under the right leadership
I’m here to help founders, executives, and creators unlock their own growth so they become the impetus for, rather than the impediment to their organization’s growth. Applied to using business as a force for good to solve the world’s most important problems, there is no more important work I (or you) could be doing.
My role as a coach is to help my clients perform at the edge of their potential. My goal is to help clients build the business, leadership, and/or emotional awareness skills necessary to reach their goals and make a positive impact through their work.
I accomplish this through a combination of thoughtful questions, holding a mirror up to help you see yourself more clearly, operational teaching based on my experience, mindfulness and somatic practices, and keeping you accountable to the intersection of your values and your ambitions.
While my coaching inevitably requires tackling the emotions (and the roots of those emotions) we experience related to work, my goal is to translate emotional work directly into long-term business value.
Sometimes that will mean being a source of accountability and other times it will mean reflecting back to you how far you’ve come. We might dig into your past to understand how patterns from your childhood and adolescence are holding you back at work. You might ask me to put on my operator hat and work for a session (or three). This is a key part of my value proposition as a coach: I’m a former operator and highly skilled at adapting to the situation to help you reach your potential.
Who My Coaching is Great For
Every founder, creator, and exec has a deep well of potential they have not fully tapped. Every one of us can benefit from a trusted and experienced advisor and coach.
The two most common groups I work with are:
- Mission-driven creators (writers, podcasters, YouTubers, etc) doing at least $1,000,000 in annual revenue.
- Mission-driven startup founders and their leadership teams. VC-backed founders at or near Series A or bootstrappers doing at least $5M in annual revenue.
The uniting theme is that my clients view work as their most important outlet for making an impact on the world. They believe it’s possible to do substantial good for others AND build wealth through their work. And they are motivated by a competitive edge and a desire to learn and grow continuously.
If this aligns to your view of work, then coaching with me is likely to be fruitful.
When Coaching Is Most Valuable
I wish it were true that founders and execs sought out coaches when things are going well so that they keep going well. If that’s you, I would be delighted to help accelerate the good thing you have going!
More typically, there are three reasons my clients seek out coaching:
- The business is limited by the founder or leader’s own growth — either it’s growing too fast for the founder or exec to keep up, or growth is being held back by the founder in some way
- The co-founders or executive team are in conflict — this typically presents as conflict over strategy or tactics, but is often about much deeper and more personal challenges
- A founder, exec, or creator is contemplating a career change — selling, shutting down, or moving on from a business you love is deeply challenging and scary
While these are the most common reasons I receive outreach, they are not the only situations that lead to worthwhile coaching. If you think coaching is an opportunity for growth, then you’re right, regardless of the circumstances.
The Monthly Format
I follow a consistent format with my coaching clients, which allows me to be as efficient as possible in my business operations so that I can focus as much energy as possible on helping clients reach their goals.
Here is the standard format:
- 60 minute sessions
- Two sessions per month
- Access to email and text follow ups
- Ad hoc / emergency sessions to address urgent opportunities/problems as needed – no extra fee (within reason)
Up front, I prefer to verbally agree to work together for a minimum of six months to ensure we have a chance to make substantive progress.*
*If you feel we’re a bad fit prior to six months of working together, you are not contractually bound to continue our work.
I’ll provide you with open coaching slots I have available. The day and time you choose will become yours twice a month until we conclude our work together.
I ask that cancellations or reschedules happen at least 48 hours in advance.
$3,000 per month, auto-billed on the first of the month.
I reserve a small number of reduced-cost coaching spots for early stage founders, underrepresented founders, and non-profit leaders. If this is you and cost is a barrier, please reach out.
How to Get Started
If you feel we may be a good fit to work together, please send me an email with:
- A bit about who you are as a person
- A bit about your company (and team, if applicable)
- What you hope for from coaching
If it seems like we’re a good fit based on initial introductions, we’ll schedule time to talk in more depth. If you’d like to know more about my background before scheduling time, you can read my full bio here.